Thursday, August 5, 2010

Boom! Pow! Wap!


John Madden may come off as a big fat idiot, but he has lent his name (and advice) to a series of football video games that has shaped the sports gaming landscape for more than 20 years.

In taking inventory of my game collection, I realized that I had nearly every iteration of Madden on one format or another. With the release of Madden 2011 in a just a few days, I thought it would be interesting (and fun) to play and write about each game in the series to see how the series has evolved over the years. I was able to fill in the few gaps in my collection quite easily given that used Madden games generally cost $1 or $2 (on any system).

Most of these games came out on multiple platforms, but I am sticking with the consoles that I have access to. The breakdown goes something like this:

SEGA GENESIS:
John Madden Football (The Original)
Madden '92
Madden '93
Madden '94
Madden '95
Madden '96

PlayStation 1:
Madden '97
Madden '98
Madden '99
Madden 2000

PlayStation 2:
Madden 2001
Madden 2002
Madden 2003
Madden 2004
Madden 2005

XBOX 360:
Madden 06
Madden 07
Madden 08
Madden 09
Madden 10

My intent is to provide a review of each game from a current viewpoint. I will probably interject some personal memories of the games if I have any and you can also anticipate a strong pro-New England Patriots bias throughout.

Also worth noting is that I don't really have a good way of getting screenshots from the games, so I have been using a crude method of "taking pictures of the TV" with my digital camera. Pretty shoddy, but it is the best I've got at the moment.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment